Tuesday, July 19, 2005

What's Your Special Skill?

A Special Skill is something quite ordinary, odd, and typically frustrating in life that you find you're extraordinary at performing in an alarmingly consistent fashion. Examples of Special Skills might be, "able to drive my kneecap into the leg of a table when sitting down at wedding receptions" or "able to choose the line containing the longest wait at the supermarket checkout".

Interestingly, my Special Skill has evolved over time. It used to be that I couldn't fold maps back up to their original state once I had unfolded them. But over the past year, it's turned into this weird pattern of watching consecutive or near-consecutive movies with the same actor (or character) in them. I seem to do it quite unconsciously - in fact, I conscientiously try to prevent the situation so that I can really appreciate different characters that actors play.

Most recently, I watched Morgan Freeman in Batman Begins and then again in Million Dollar Baby. But here are some other recent examples:
  1. A strange coincidence of Mount Rushmore being featured in North by Northwest then again in Team America World Police!
  2. Don Cheadle in Hotel Rwanda then again in Ocean's Twelve.
  3. Jude Law in I Heart Huckabees then again in Closer.
  4. Daryl Hannah in Kill Bill Vol. 2 then again in Silver City.
  5. Sean Penn in The Weight of Water then again in 21 Grams.
I caught the situation again tonight when I managed my Netflix queue and noticed my next two movies were The Machinist with Christian Bale and Kinsey with Liam Neeson. Again, the movie I saw last Saturday... Batman Begins.

No comments: